Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm Off!

Today is the day that I am off to Portugal. I have been excited for this day to come for about 6 months, since I booked it back in January. I am excited, anxious, terrified but mostly excited. I mean there is a little nervousness about going to a new country where I don't speak the language, I'm not used to their customs and the food is a lot different. But I know its going to be an adventure that's all my own.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting from this vacation. I guess all that I can really say is I hope to come back having learned a lot about the culture that is such a big part of me, and hopefully picked up a bit of the language as well.  Whatever does or doesn't happen, I have a feeling I won't come back the same person.

Recently something happened that has sort of put things into perspective for me. A somewhat friend of the family has passed away. Well she was really more a friend of my Aunt, but still someone I really liked. It's really hitting me because nobody saw this coming. She was perfectly healthy (or so we all thought) and it all seemed to happen so fast. We later found out that she was sick for a long time and chose not to tell her family and friends.

After hearing about this it made me really glad that I am doing this trip. I've wanted to go to Portugal since I was a teenager and I honestly can't believe I waited this long. I kept planning to go in previous years but something else would always come up that I felt was more urgent. If I could give any one of you advice about something like this it would be this: Just do it! Just make it a priority. Put money aside and don't take from that savings for anything else! So many others talk about making paying off debt a priority, how they put every single extra penny towards debt. You can do the same to save for a trip, all you have to do is decide that it is a priority. You never know what is going to happen in your life so you need to do the things that make YOU happy.

So I'm off. I'll see you guys in a few weeks. I'll have another Pinteresting Wednesday and another Sunday Social post saved and I'll try to post some pictures with my Blogger App while I'm there. But until then I leave you with this:



No comments: