Sunday, April 27, 2008

Paycheck mistake

A recent mistake on my paycheck got me thinking about how often mistakes are made. I do not diligently record every minute i work or anything but I have a rough idea in my head of what my paycheck should look like, and on the last one, there was a mistake!

Here's the mistake. I recently got a raise. The raise came in the middle of a pay period. So on the next paycheck after the raise, some of the hours were at my old wage, and some of the hours were at my new wage, which is totally correct.

But, on the next paycheck after that, there was still a breakdown of hours between my old wage and new wage, when it really should have been all at my new wage. This is the first time I have ever had a big mistake on my paycheck and I was a little taken aback by it.

It really wasn't a big deal, they only owed me about $40.00 or so and I talked to the administrator and it was fixed. It just got me thinking - how many people get jipped out of money because they don't notice mistakes on their paycheck? How many people actually write down when they work late, come in early, don't take lunch etc to make sure it is reflected in their pay? Has anything like this ever happened to you??

No comments: