Saturday, May 31, 2008

Back from vacation!

Well after my little hiatus there, I am back and ready to blog once again. I went on vacation and that is why I haven't written for awhile. I took a week off work and went to visit a friend from college. Boy did this trip cost me! Here is what I spent:

Rental car: $277.00
Spending money for trip: $360.00
Gas money spent: 113.00

Luckily i had saved about $740.00 so it didn't set me back a huge amount. The money spent while on vacation was for various things such as going to the bar, eating out, shopping, admissions to various attractions + parking costs etc. While I was there I spent about $120.00 on clothes and a new bag that came out of my bank account and not out of the money I had previously saved. So basically I spent A LOT! Not to mention I also went to Ikea the other day and spent $390. This went on my visa. I am not proud of it, but I don't have the opportunity to go to Ikea every day, and I bought some organizational stuff for my bedroom. My room looks great and is a lot more organized now. Hopefully it will stay this way.

After this trip I was ready to get back into money saving mode. But not until I did a little book shopping, oops. A co-worker told me about a used book store in town, and I decided to check it out. The prices were not as great as I had hoped, but still better than Chapters! Here's what I purchased:

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult: regular $21 got it for $10.50
No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies: regular 22.95 got it for $10
..so basically half price.

I wanted to get a personal finance book but they didn't really have much at the used book store so I went to chapters and bought Personal Finance for Canadians for Dummies. At $29.99 it was a little much I thought, but after beginning to read I know its going to be a great book for me.

I also plan to sell some of my old books to the store. You dont get cash back, but a store credit you can use toward purchases. I've collected 8 books I no longer want, so I will be taking those there plus when I'm done with the ones I bought there, I can take them back as well.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever been to a used book store? Or do you prefer the library?

No comments: