Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's like hidden savings!

I just put away some money from my last paycheck, due to my recet raise and holiday pay. I recently got a 33 cent per hour raise. I've decided each time I get paid I will take that difference ( it works out to be about $25 per paycheck) and put it into savings.
So I worked 77.75 hours. Multiply that by 33 cents and you get about $25. We also recently had Canada day. I still worked 5 days that week but got paid for 6 because of the holiday. So thats a whole extra day of pay, about $80 bucks!
So thats an extra $105 dollars that I won't really miss deposited into my savings account which brings the total to about $1687! I've never had this much savings before, I can't wait to open up my new ING account and start getting interest, and investing some of it.

I also wanted to mention something I read about on another blog, Get Rich Slowly. There was an article about a woman who had a great tip to accumulate savings. Every time she got a $5 bill, she saved it! I've been putting away my spare change, but I never thought of putting away all my $5 bills! But if you think about it, you could save so much so fast, if you really stuck to it! I've decided I'm going to start doing this, or atleast try. I don't know if I'll be able to save every single one, but I'm going to try it and see what happens!

What do you guys think?

2 comments:

SavingDiva said...

Congrats on setting aside $105! It sounds like you're really being productive!

I like the idea of setting aside $5 bills, but I don't have cash on hand very frequently. I would save about one $5 bill/month...

I prefer to add a little bit to my savings when I can. I've also started to budget a bit of savings from every pay check. I also picked up a second job to devote entirely to savings because I didn't feel like I was able to save enough with my primary job. Now that I'm going back to school, all of the rules are changing!

Dolly Iris said...

I used to do that with toonies and loonies but then I would cheat and use them for bus money, lol. It's a great idea!