Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Our 4 Main Drives

I am currently reading "You: Being Beautful, The Owners Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty. I came across one thing that I thought was pretty interesting and wanted to share with you all.

It basically says that the one thing that motivates us all in life is satisfaction. We want to have experiences and be around people that leave us feeling satisfied because it is a basic biological drive. And there are 4 main drives that exist in our brain's satiety center: food, water, sex and sleep. Basically we need all of these elements for optimum body chemistry.

All these things rely on each other a bit so basically if you are not getting enough of one thing, your body is relying on the other things to be satisfied. One of the main reasons people overeat is because they are not getting enough sleep, sex or water!

Now thats not my personal opinion, thats what the book says. So I wanted to get your feedback on this...do you agree with this at all? For me personally I can see this making sense. But what about people that are not having sex for instance? Like, people that are waiting for marriage, or maybe they are not in a relationship and don't do random hook ups. Does that mean they are going to eat, sleep or drink more water than the average person? I don't think so. But do people that don't get a lot of sleep eat more in general than people that do get enough sleep? Probably, in some circumstances. It's kind of interesting to think about anyway....

4 comments:

Maria said...

Very interesting reading you have there. Kind of generalized though, but interesting.

The Asian Pear said...

I think it's a bit too generalized. And I think it kinda ignores the fact that as humans we have other things that drives us. Things that are not biological needs. I tend to put more faith in Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs theory over this one.

Anonymous said...

Plus when you're a member of the V-club you don't know what you're missing. :)

Laura said...

I think you are taking it too literally. Sex could mean anything from intercourse to holding hands or feeling loved. If you feel you have that loved part balanced, then you may not need to overcompensate in another area. And I think studies have shown that people who don't sleep enough eat more. And if you aren't drinking enough fluids you tend to not have as much energy (therefore sleep more) or feel the need to eat more as your body is actually thirsty and requesting some sort of relief.