Saturday, September 19, 2009

Amazon.com vs Amazon.ca

I finally got another $5 gift card to Amazon.com. As I mentioned before I was waiting for this one to order a book. I ordered Bead Jewelry 101. I have been interested in learning how to make jewelry for the past little while. These books are usually like $30+ at Chapters. So I decided to put my amazon.com gift cards to good use.

I never really thought about whether or not to get the Amazon.com gift card or the Amazon.ca one. I just automatically got Amazon.com because the prices seemed to be lower and I figured even though the shipping is a bit higher its probably worth it. I guess it all depends on what exactly you are buying.

In this case, it would of been cheaper from Amazon.ca.

Heres the breakdown:

Amazon.com:
Book: $17.99
S&H: $8.98
Import Fees Deposit: $0.90
= $27.87
- $15 GC
= $12.87

If I got it from Amazon.ca:
Book: $17.33
S&H: $5.90
GST: $1.17
=$24.40
-$15GC
= $9.40

I could of saved $3.47! LOL not that I am really broken up about this, but I feel like I should of paid more attention. I think next time I am going to save my swagbucks until I decide what I want, then I will price it out on both sites to see which is cheaper, and THEN redeem them for the giftcards once I know exactly what I want.

P.S. The book is $27.50 in store plus GST so I guess I still got a good price either way :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just received another $5, too! Isn't it awesome. Essentially free books! Can't go wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with being frugal and watch where you spend yoru money. :)

Here is another money saving idea.

If you are looking for free shipping on Amazon.ca, check out http://ca.superfiller.com

They also have an interesting discount table on Amazon.ca items.

Have fun.