Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Back In Canada

I'm back from vacation! I had a pretty fabulous time but at the same time I'm glad to be home. Towards the end of it I started to not feel well which really sucked! Here are some initial thoughts before I start going into details.

Flying:

  • The flight there was my first time on a plane and I wasn't a big fan. It wasn't quite as bad as I thought but I was barely able to sleep and was totally exhausted when I arrived. I was really worried about the whole ear-popping thing but it wasn't too bad. Actually my ears were totally fine until a few days before I came back!
  • The flight back was much much better. I got a window seat with nobody beside me so I didn't feel so cramped. And even though the flight was technically longer it didn't feel as long, probably because I wasn't as anxious as the first time. 
Life In Portugal:
  • It is a simpler way of life over there, which is what I expected. They are a pretty laid back people, with a sort of life-is-one-big-party attitude. Family is everything over there. The whole family goes out together most of the time which is different from I am used to because I go out with friends way way more than I go out with my family. 
  • They eat dinner really late. Like 9pm. It was weird for me because we eat dinner at like 5 or 6. I didn't like eating so late! lol 
  • I don't know why but it surprised me a little that they listen to a lot of english music. Britney Spears, Rihanna, JLo, etc etc. We went to outdoor parties a lot with live bands and they sang a lot of songs I know which made me feel a little bit more at home. 
Random things I noticed:
  • They wear their shoes all over the house.
  • The signs on the shelves in the grocery store are all electronic! 
  • When they answer the phone instead of saying "Hello?" they say "Yes?" lol
  • In the food court at the mall nobody cleans up after themselves. You leave all your garbage on the table and someone cleans it up for you. And they give you real cutlery. Not plastic
  • When we went to the outdoor parties they had a food area set up and someone came to the table to take our order. Usually at something like that in Canada you are expected to go up to the counter and get food yourself and bring it to your table.
Here are a few pictures. I will post in more detail later about the stuff I did with more pictures! 







No comments: