Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blog Every Day In May: Day 8


Day 8:
A piece of advice you have for others


I know its going to sound so cliché but my piece of advice is to try to find a job/career you enjoy. Notice I said try because not everyone does. I have a career that I enjoy, and I feel that I am lucky, because I was only 22 when I had it figured out. Some people go their whole life, and never really find that. You know that saying that goes something like "Find something you love and you will never work a day in your life?" Personally, I think it's exaggerated. 

I'll tell you why I love my job. And I'm not going to give some goody two shoes answer like "I love helping people" or "I'm serving my community" or some crap like that. The reason I love my job is that  it's never boring. Even though, it is fairly repetitive in a way, in another way its not at all.

There is always something to do and new people to meet. We constantly have new students joining our team, working for us for a few months and then they leave, and new ones come in. There's always some crazy customer giving me attitude which makes for a good laugh after the fact. There's always new drugs coming onto the market to learn about. And just when you think you've seen it all, you haven't. It's challenging enough to keep my on my toes, but not so much that I find it difficult. 

I'm not saying its all rainbows and butterflies every day. I don't love it every day, all day. It's very stressful, and sometimes I'm just counting down the minutes. But there is usually at least one moment in each day when it hits me that I love it. And there are some days when I realized it's time to go home and I think "already?!" And yeah, sometimes I don't feel like getting out of bed and going to work. But I never dread it, and sometimes I even look forward to it. 

And the reason why I think it's so important to find a job you love? Simple math.

You spend most of your waking hours at work. Might as well be spending it somewhere you don't mind being, instead of somewhere you hate. 




No comments: